“To be divinely inspired, a book must be historically accurate. For if its credibility cannot be established on the basis of known events, it certainly cannot be relied upon as an adequate guide in matters beyond our ability to check.” http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/the-historical-accuracy-of-the-bible/
Christians submit to the Bible, in part, because of its amazing historical accuracy.
God Declares That He Makes Known, From Ancient Times, Things Still to Come
1. For Isaiah 46:8-11 to be valid, God’s revelations must be accurate.
2. Inaccuracy would invalidate the entire equation.
Fun Accuracy Items
1. Grapes in Egypt. 2. Joshua’s Altar. (Joshua 8:30) 3. Bulla of Baruch. (Jeremiah 36:4) 4. Caiaphas’ Ossuary. (Matthew 26:57) 5. Paul’s coffin. (2 Timothy 4:7)
More In-depth Historical Accuracy Illustrations
1. A Prophecy About Rebuilding the Walls of Jericho in Joshua 6:26 is fulfilled precisely over 500 years later in 1 Kings 16:34.
2. A Prophecy Against Tyre in Ezekiel 26. http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.aspx?category=13&article=1790
A. It is well documented that Ezekiel started this prophecy in 592 B.C.
B. Tyre was one of the oldest and most prosperous cities at that time.
C. Prophecy components: I will bring many nations against you. They will destroy walls and towers. They will scrape away ruble and make like a rock. Out in the sea she will become
a place to spread fishnets. The mainland will be ravished by war. Nebuchadnezzar will come from the north.
D. Within three years of the prophecy, Nebuchadnezzar attacked.
E. Approximately 260 years later, 332 B.C., Alexander attacked and destroyed Tyre exactly as Ezekiel had prophesied.
“I know of no finding in archaeology that’s properly confirmed which is in opposition to the Scriptures. The Bible is the most accurate history textbook the world has ever seen.” – Dr Clifford Wilson
“It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archaeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of Biblical description has often led to amazing discoveries.” – Dr. Nelson Glueck
There are two ways to come to trust the Bible as the authority over your life:
1. To study, become intellectually convinced, and move to faith.
2. By faith trust the Bible, become relationally convinced, and move to intellectual agreement.