Deep and extended darkness is an insurmountable problem for human beings.
Humans are created for the light.
Some of the dangers of excessive darkness are weak bones, depression and heart trouble.
Bottom line: humans need light and interaction to stay sane. Without light, we lose our sense of time, and without interaction, we become consumed with loneliness and boredom. With this sensory deprivation comes the strangest, most unimaginable psychological effects. http://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/isolation-dark-drives-humans-brink-insanity-studies-find
This is could be easily deduced from the Genesis 1 account of creation. Light is created on day one and all living things created on subsequent days. Humans are created on day six, after life sustaining creation is already in place for humanity’s well-being.
Genesis 1 clearly reveals humans are created physically dependent upon relationship with light.
John 1 clearly reveals humans are created spiritually dependent upon relationship with Light.
The creation of light (Genesis 1) and the incarnation of Light (John 1) changes everything.
|CREATION – Genesis 1||NEW CREATION – John 1|
|In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.||In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.|
|The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.||He was in the beginning with God.|
|And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.||All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made|
|And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.||In him was life, and the life was the light of men.|
|God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.||The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.|
The Apostle John reveals Jesus as the Moral Life and Light sustaining all creation and life.
Jesus’ incarnation changes everything.
Blinded by total darkness, we could not see. The incarnation of Jesus changes everything and we can now see with moral and spiritual clarity.
- Jesus healed the blind at Jericho. Matthew 9:27-31, Mark 10:46-52
- Jesus healed the blind man at Bethsaida. Mark 8:22-26
- Jesus healed a man born blind at Siloam. Jon 9:1-41
Engulfed in total darkness, we had no sense of location, direction and position. The incarnation of Jesus changes everything and we now have a moral and spiritual sense of location, direction and position.
- As with GPS, humanity’s moral location, direction and
position are determined by reference points.
- The Bible
- The redeemed conscience
- For God, who said, “Let light shine out of
darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge
of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6
- The only moral reference point by which one can navigate is the Person and work of Jesus. John 14:6
- A person is totally without moral and spiritual bearing until they know where they are in reference to Jesus.
By God’s grace that changes everything, we are invited to become new creations by the Light.
- But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:12-13
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
By God’s grace that changes everything, we are invited to become light by the Light.
- “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so thatthey may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.