Experiencing Jesus changes everything.
- The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. Isaiah 9:2
- 8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light…Ephesians 5:8
- But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 1 Peter 2:9
Jesus said of Himself, “I am the light of the world.”
12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
Jesus is the spiritual and moral light for all creation. Because of Jesus we know:
- Who I am part of a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.
- Why I am this because Father God loves me.
- Where I am in the kingdom of the Son God loves.
- When I am here for such a time as this.
- What I am a child of God.
Let us turn our attention to Jesus’ being the light of the WORLD.
Consider the international and cultural expansiveness of the birth narratives of Jesus.
- Shepherds Jewish priests ensuring sheep worthy of sacrifice on Passover
- Magi Probably Zoroastrian priests from Iran
- King Herod Edomite raised as a Jew
- Quirinius Roman aristocrat – Governor of Syria
- Angels “to let it be known how this event is regarded in heaven and should be regarded on earth.” https://biblehub.com/commentaries/luke/2-13.htm
The angel’s message is insightfully stated for God’s eternal purposes.
9 And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
The original expression in Luke 2:10 is insightful, ευαγγελιζομαι υμιν χαραν μεγαλην,
I evangelize unto you great joy.
Evangelization is included in Jesus’ birth announcement.
We see Jesus’ global evangelization even at His birth as Jewish priests, Persian priests, roman aristocrats, Edomites and angels are included.
Encountering Jesus changes everything. We are changed from darkness to light.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so thatthey may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:14
As the light of the world, Jesus’ followers are sent into all the world.
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
The Light that changed everything for us is sending us into the world to see everything change for those who believe our report.
As the light of the world, I am a light bearing change agent
I go into all the world reflecting the Light of Jesus.
18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.[f] For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
Jesus left home and the nations came to His Light.
You and I are to leave home and watch God bring the nations to His light reflected in us.
This changes everything.