Following are the notes from my Palm Sunday message. My intent is to honor Jesus’ prophetic entry into Jerusalem as the King of Kings. The responses for which I taught are listed at the end of the notes.
More Than a Relationship
Jesus is more than a Man: He is King!
Today we celebrate Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem as the King. Matthew 21:1-11
The Jewish people anticipated a king who would overthrow Roman domination, establish Israel as a global power, and set up God’s rule on earth. In our text today, the people thought Jesus was that king.
Zechariah prophesied this kingly entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem, over 500 years before Jesus was born. Zechariah 9:9
The passage is filled with kingly imagery.
- Riding on a colt
- Garments spread on ground before him
- Branches waved in victory
One of the themes of Jesus’ teaching ministry was the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of heaven. Mark 1:15
In the teaching of Jesus called the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught about the Kingdom. Matthew 5:3, 10, 19, 20, and 6:10, 33
Much of Matthew 13 is dedicated to Jesus’ teaching on the Kingdom.
- The Kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. Vs. 24
- The Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Vs. 31
- The Kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough. Vs. 33
- The Kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. Vs. 44
- The Kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. Vs. 47
A kingdom is the space ruled by a king. God’s kingdom is the space ruled by King Jesus.
You become a subject of King Jesus by:
- Surrendering all of your rights to the King.
- Devoting all of your allegiance and loyalty to the King.
- Living in obedience to the kingdom’s attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.
Will you pray:
- Ride into my heart as the Prince of Peace.
- Because you are the King of the Kingdom, I worship you in humility.
- I celebrate your victory over sin, death, hell, and Satan.
Jesus, you are my King!