My message, “In Times Like These: Walk in Authority,” is designed to assist us in realizing God’s authority was given fully to Jesus following his resurrection from the dead. Jesus said, “All authority has been given unto me both in heaven and on earth.” We represent Him. We walk in His authority to make disciples of all nations.
In Times Like These: Walk in Authority
We are learning to bring our whole self to the Great Assignment. Matthew 28:18-20
The Great Assignment has four “Alls.”
• All authority in heaven and earth
• To make disciples of all nations
• Who obey all God’s commandments
• Jesus is with us all the days
We are learning to bring a fifth all: all of me (my whole self). Today the emphasis is upon bringing all of one’s self under all of His authority and then walking out the Great Assignment in His authority.
The Bible is very clear about Jesus’ authority prior to the resurrection. His resurrection from the dead, and all that goes with it changed the wording from “authority” to “all authority in heaven and on earth.”
Matthew 28 suggests that “all nations” have a level of authority that will resist the disciple-making ministry and the call to obey all of God’s commandments. There seems to be an authority in “all nations” to resist discipleship and live in disobedience. The authority of “all nations” is overcome by the “All authority” of Jesus.
I am to bring my whole self to the Great Assignment with the authority of Jesus Christ, who has been given all authority.
The Authority of Jesus both Before and After His Resurrection from the Dead
• All authority in heaven and earth Philippians 2:10
• Authority over angels Hebrews 1:6
• Authority over all rule, authority, power, and dominion Ephesians 1:21, 22
• Eternal authority Daniel 7:13, 14
• Authority over sickness and disease Matthew 4:23, 24
• Authority over demons Matthew 8:28-33
• Authority over physical elements Matthew 8:23-27
• Authority over life and death John 11:1-27
• Authority to forgive sin Matthew 9:1-7
• Authority over the Church Colossians 1:18
Therefore, “Go and make disciples of all nations!” You are Christ’s Ambassadors. 2 Corinthians 5:20
MCA Church LIFE Groups
Congratulations on being part of the MCA Church growing LIFE Group movement. In this, our first session of the ministry year, we have over 200 raving Jesus fans in the LIFE Groups. Plan on inviting a friend to join a group with you for the next ten-week session starting in January.
Getting to Know One Another
1. Have you ever personally seen the authority of Jesus in one of the ten areas Pastor mentioned in the weekend talk?
2. Do you have a situation in which you are seeking to extend the authority of Jesus?
Digging Deeper into the Message
1. What is an ambassador? What is the work of an ambassador? Under what authority does an ambassador work? In what ways do you live out your life as Christ’s ambassador? 2 Corinthians 5:20
2. Read Luke 10:1-20.
a. In what way is being sent out on mission connected to the authority given by Jesus?
b. Would the disciples have Jesus’ authority without being on mission?
c. Do you have Jesus’ authority if you are not fully on mission?
3. What do you understand Luke 10:23 to mean? What was it that prophets and kings had wanted to see?
4. Is the authority given by Jesus in Luke 10:19 given to you today? If so, what must you do to walk in that authority?
5. It is clear that Jesus has sent you as an ambassador to make disciples of the nations. Make a list of at least five things you can do to bring your whole self to this assignment.
1. Please pray for God’s guidance upon your giving decision for MCA Church Global Outreach.
2. Please pray for the MCA Church connection with mission in El Salvador, for Pete and Vicki as they travel back to Australia, and this Sunday’s emphasis on the children of Burkina Faso.