In my message today I am seeking to bring our attention back to the Person, Jesus. Christianity has it’s propositions, but is not initially “Propositional Truth.” The core essence of being a follower of Jesus is “Transactional Truth.” Because Jesus is a Person, He must be known transactionally (two living beings transacting – or two people in relationship).
It is through transaction with Jesus that we understand it is His Personhood that makes all propositional truth true. For example, “Why is good good?” Good is good because Jesus is good. Because of the being-ness of Jesus we have the proposition. “Why is evil evil?” Evil is evil because Jesus is good and the opposite of who he is is evil.
There is an obvious Great Disparity between, on the one hand, the hope for life expressed in Jesus – found real in the Bible and in many shining examples from among his followers- and, on the other hand, the actual day to day behavior, inner life, and social presence of most of those who now profess adherence to him. “The Great Omission” by Dallas Williard
Who Jesus is
- The only-begottenSon of God,
- Begotten of the Father before all worlds (æons),
- Light of Light, very God of very God,
- Begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;
What Jesus did
- Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven,
- and was incarnateby the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;
- He was crucifiedfor us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures,
- andascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
What Jesus taught and believed
- His birth, death and resurrection initiated the Kingdom of God
- He alone is the key to entrance into God’s Kingdom
It is good to know who Jesus is, what Jesus did and what Jesus taught and believed. Let’s call the portion that we know – understanding.
The Great Disparity is caused, in part, by what may be properly named “Theology Idolatry.” John 5:39, 40
Sometimes in my understanding of Jesus I fail to see the beauty of Jesus the Person! Isaiah 33:17
The key isn’t in just understanding who Jesus is, what he did and what he taught and believed. The key is in knowing Jesus the Person.
- John 1:10
- John 17:3
- Philippians 3:10
The Great Disparity vanishes when I see the beauty of Jesus and become his apprentice.
Then I begin to realize that Jesus even sees some beauty in me.