The Judaism of Jesus’ day was 100% integrated with God’s communications. Even while in Mary’s womb, Jesus was fully integrated in God’s communications.
God’s command to “tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads (Deuteronomy 6:8) was viewed as an illustrative metaphor until the Jewish people returned from exile in Babylon. At that time, they began to interpret this literally. The “frontlet” is a small box in which four bible passages, each written on a small parchment paper, are placed. The four bible passages are:
- Exodus 12:2-10 (Commencement of Passover)
- Exodus 13:11-21 (Remembrance of the Exodus)
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (The Bible’s Greatest Verse)
- Deuteronomy 11:18-21 (Reminder that Life Must Be God’s Word Centric)
For Jesus, integrating God’s communication into every area of life, is true life. Matthew 4:1-10
- God created by speaking. Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God includes the other sources of food that God created by speaking.
- God sustains life, in addition to physical food, through His word.
- Humanity’s life is sustained by bread only If God so blesses.
- Humanity’s life is sustained without bread only if God so blesses.
As man, therefore, I will await divine supply, nothing doubting that at the fitting time it will arrive. Jameison-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
Here we are taught, in imitation of Christ, always to maintain such an humble dependence on the divine blessing, as never to venture out of the way of it, be our necessity ever so urgent. Benson Commentary
Let’s give careful consideration to Jesus’ statement, “Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4
Tuning our lives to the frequency of God is true life. Since God’s word is coming from God’s mouth, God’s word must be coming from my mouth as well!
Let’s learn the lesson of Numbers 14:26-28 – “As I live, declares the Lord, what you have said in my hearing I will do to you…”
Personalize and Proclaim God’s Promise! “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13