I am giving thought to those things about which I am regularly asked, “Why do you consider these things a big deal?” Following are the notes from the series introduction.
We are constantly being asked, “What is the big deal about…..?”
• What is the big deal about sexuality?
• What is the big deal about taking a position on Israel?
• What is the big deal about abortion and end of life issues?
• What is the big deal about the definition of marriage?
• What is the big deal about “all truth is relative?”
• What is the big deal about the Bible?
• What is the big deal about hell?
• What is the big deal about joining a Life Group?
God is the Big Deal!
God is everywhere present (Jeremiah 23:24, Proverbs 15:3), everything knowing (1 John 3:20, Psalm 147:5), and in every way powerful (Jeremiah 32:27, Job 42:2, Mark 10:27).
How then do we separate the True God from pantheism? Pantheism teaches that God and nature are the same thing. The Bible reveals that God is separate from creation and He created it (Genesis 1).
The Bible reveals that God, eternally existent in Three Persons, is before time, during time, and after time. The eternal existence of God is the core of Truth.
God’s character and nature are the absolutes!
Law Because God exists there are Big Deal laws, good laws and bad laws, good and bad judges and judgments, and good and bad lawmakers.
Ethics Because God exists there are Big Deal ethics. God’s nature determines certain things right and certain things wrong.
Morality Because God exists there is Big Deal morality. God’s nature determines certain things moral and others immoral.
Philosophy Because God exists there is Big Deal philosophy. God’s nature determines certain thoughts, beliefs, and understandings true and others false.
Because God Is The Big Deal:
1. It is in fearing the Lord that we begin to have wisdom. Proverbs 9:10
2. It is in knowledge of the Holy One that we have insight. Proverbs 9:10
3. We are counter-cultural; we do not glory in the western world’s trinity of wisdom, might, and wealth. Our glory is to be in knowing and understanding God. Jeremiah 9:23-24
4. We get to know and understand God through encountering the Bible. 1 John 2:3-6
5. We get to know and understand God through intentional and committed relationships. 1 John 1:1-3