MCA Church Fasting and Prayer
We call all MCA Church participants to 40 days of fasting and prayer, beginning February 17, 2021.
Often, Christians are called and commanded by their influencers, “You need to look like Jesus.” In our annual 40 Days of Fasting and Prayer, we follow Jesus into His 40 days of fasting and prayer (we usually skip the wilderness part).
Physician approval to fast may be wise. For those who are unsure if fasting is wise for them, we recommend getting your doctor’s approval and guidance.
Christian fasting is specifically doing without food for the purposes of prayer, seeking God, and separating one’s self from life’s normal routines. There are many fasting options. For example:
- Fasting from a food group. Many people fast meat (Thus, fish on Friday fast days. I always feel bad for the fish. They aren’t considered meat by Christians who fast meat).
- Fasting a certain amount of time each day. Some chose to stop eating after lunch each day. Other people don’t eat until lunch.
- Fasting a certain number of days each week. Some eat their regular schedule six days a week and fast all food on the 7th day.
Fasting is considered an essential part of the Christian life. The spiritual and physical benefits are extraordinary. And the benefit of exemplifying the Lordship of Jesus over our food intake is a positive step of self-discipline.
During a fast, some people also abstain. Abstinence is refraining from something for the purpose of pursuing God, spiritual devotion, and interrupting the routines of life. You may also enjoy the products of this self-discipline. Common abstentions are:
- Abstaining from all entertainment.
- Abstaining from all personal electronic devices.
- Abstaining from spending money on a certain item, often, beverages.
The Lord willing, I will be presenting 40 Days of Pastoral Tuck Ins to assist in daily spiritual reflections.
You are invited to launch the 40 Days of Fasting and Prayer by joining together in a commitment service. Wednesday, February 17, 6:00 AM, 8:00 AM, Noon, 7:00 PM.