The first recorded human temptation and sin was directly related to folly’s fake front.
The folly founder (Satan): Seeks to enter a conversation with Eve without concern for her. He pushes his own failed agenda, “You will be like God.” Genesis 3:5, Isaiah 14:14
Eve began to perceive reality through the lens of the fake front on folly.
• When Eve saw that the tree was good for food. 3:6
• When Eve saw that the tree was a delight to the eyes. 3:6
• When Eve saw that the tree was desirable to make one wise. 3:6
Deception is the foundation of folly.
• Eve became deceived that the tree was good, although God revealed the tree’s terrible consequences. 3:3
• Eve became deceived that the tree would make her wise, although God revealed the tree as knowledge, not as wisdom. 2:17
Notice that folly is the knowledge of good and evil while wisdom is knowing good from evil.
A comparison of Genesis 3 and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil with Proverbs 3 and the tree of life.
Genesis 3’s Tree of Knowledge Proverb 3’s Tree of Life
Doubting God reveals truth. 1 Pursue God’s revealed truth. 13
God withholds wisdom. 4 God’s wisdom is in creation. 19, 20
God’s discipline is self-serving. 5 God shares His wisdom with love. 11, 12
Wisdom is the result of disobedience. 6 Wisdom is the result of obedience 1, 2
Wisdom comes from your understanding. 6 Wisdom says, “Lean not on your own understanding.”
Wisdom comes from the tree of the Wisdom comes from the tree of life. 18
knowledge of good and evil. 6
MCA Church LIFE Group Home Work
- Have you ever purchased a product that totally failed to do what it claimed it could do?
- Have you ever purchased a product you didn’t want or need based upon an impulse?
- Folly is the failure of wisdom. Stupidity is the lack of intellect. Folly is the actions of fools.
2. How much folly does it take to outweigh a lifetime of wisdom? Ecclesiastes 10:1
3. What are the two characteristics of folly mentioned in Proverbs 9:13?
4. When, in our folly, we are foolish, toward whom are we angry? Proverbs 19:3
5. Why do people repeat folly? Proverbs 26:11
6. How easy is it to remove folly from a foolish heart? Proverbs 27:22
7. A major issue of our culture today is found in the first sentence of 1 Corinthians 3:19.
8. Are you prepared to stand with the wisdom of God against the folly of our day?
Taking It Home
- Are you seeing any folly in your life today?
- What one step should you take today to move from folly toward wisdom?
Lifting Up In Prayer
- Please pray for our exciting North Campus Expansion.
- Ask God for miracle provision for the building finances.
- Please pray for those in your group to have the faith, courage, and strength to take the next step regarding wisdom