We are asking God to Awaken the Wonder of the Holy Spirit in our Work.
All righteous work is God’s work and He lovingly assigns a portion of His work to every person. Ecclesiastes 3:10
God’s work is to move all of creation from where it is to where God desires it to be.
All righteous work helps creation serve, honor, and reflect the Creator.
In this way, your work is MUCH larger than your job.
- For example, a person is employed as a chef. Their work and job are serving, honoring, and reflecting the Creator in their kitchen.
- Everyone spends some amount of time serving, honoring, and reflecting the Creator in their kitchen. This kitchen time is their work (part of God’s work in the world today) but not their job.
Righteous work is the expenditure of energy that moves creation closer to God’s intended purpose.
A righteous person’s righteous work receives God’s blessing that is to be used for God’s righteous purposes.
Consider the 128th Psalm.
|Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways!||Blessed, fear of the Lord, walk in His ways|
|You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.||Ecclesiastes 3:12, 13 – joyful, do good, eat, drink, take pleasure in toil|
|Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house;||Proverbs 31:28 – Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.|
|Your children will be like olive shoots around your table.||Psalm 103:17, 18 Steadfast love of the Lord on those who fear him. Righteousness to children’s children – who keep the covenant-remember to do his commandments.|
|The Lord bless you from Zion.||Philippians 4:19 -riches in glory in Christ|
|May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life!||Jeremiah 29:7 – if it prospers, you too will prosper. Prosperity of your city.|
|May you see your children’s children!||Prosperity of your children and grandchildren|
|Peace be upon Israel.||Prosperity of your nation.|
Tips for Enjoying the Fruit of your Labor
- Delight yourself in the Lord of your labor and fruitfulness. Psalm 37:4
- Enjoy the fruitfulness of your labor in ways that move creation closer to God’s intended purposes.
- Enjoy the fruitfulness of your labor by being more fruitful through your labor.
Next Sunday, invite your co-workers, employees, and employers for a special “Celebration of Work” Sunday.