The Holy Spirit is inviting us to become people of realized potential in Christ.
Potential – Those realities “existing in possibility” and those “capable of developing into actuality.” https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/potential
Realized – To “bring into concrete existence.” https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/realized
People – Is most often used in the plural but is also appropriately used in the singular.
- “American people are filled with faith.” Plural
- “In America we find a people of faith.” Singular
- In our theme, we intend “People” in both the plural and singular.
|Potential||Existing in possibility as a group||Existing in possibility as a person|
|Realized||Bring into concrete existence as a group||Bring into concrete existence as a person|
In realizing full potential, the individual (person) is significantly impacted by their group (people).
In realizing full potential, the group (people) is significantly impacted by its individuals (persons).
Shawn Achor, author of Big Potential, shares insight from lightening bugs on the singular and plural aspects of becoming people of realized potential.
The success rate increased by 79 percentage points when flashing as an interconnected community rather than as individuals. Achor, Shawn. Big Potential (p. 17). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
As we look to the Bible for revelation into becoming people (singular and plural) of realized potential, let’s consider the concepts of position and placement.
In auto racing we see hints of the importance of position. For NASCAR, driver Richard Petty has the all-time record winning 61 times from 123 pole positions with an average of 49.6%.
In the Bible, position and placement are a huge part of the realized potential process and can be action taken by God in our lives, action that we take or a combination of the two.
- God was at work in positioning Joseph (rather miserably) for his full potential entirely against his own will. Genesis 37-50.
- God was at work in positioning Zacchaeus (rather delightfully) for his full potential through Zacchaeus’ own interest in seeing Jesus. Luke 19:1-10
Four “positionings” for becoming people of realized potential in Psalm 92:12-15
|The righteous flourish like the palm tree
and grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
|Positioned in righteousness.|
|They are planted in the house of the Lord; they flourish in the courts of our God.
|Positioned in the house of the Lord.|
|They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green,
|Positioned in fruit bearing.|
|to declare that the Lord is upright; he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.
|Positioned in declaring the Lord.|
- Knowing lightening bugs’ success rates increase by 79% when acting as an interconnected community, will you commit to a small group in your MCA Church community?
- Knowing position is important in auto racing, will you commit to intentional placement for becoming a people of realized potential?
MCA Church Life Group Home Work
Listen – My Story
- Were you ever in the “right place at the right time?
- Are you more prone to spiritual growth in the singular (by yourself) or in the plural (with others)?
- Do you have a specific friend who could greatly benefit from spiritual growth with you and your Life Group?
Lift – Prayer
- Prayer is possibly the most important activity of spiritual life in both the singular and plural.
- Please pray together.
- Please close your prayer time by asking God to take your Life Group to its fullest potential in Christ.
Learn – Digging Deeper
- Read Proverbs 16:9. What action do people take? What actions does God take? Do you see the possibility for a combination of action with both God and people?
- Abraham had the uncomfortable positioning by God “to a land I will show you.” We think Abraham had no idea where he was going to be positioned. Even in the unknowing Abraham trusted God. Read Isaiah 51:2. What was God’s intended purpose in re-positioning Abraham and Sarah?
Life – Taking it Home
- Is there a specific action you should take to be better positioned in righteousness, the house of the Lord, fruit bearing and declaring the Lord?
- Is the Holy Spirit speaking to you about a ministry action to take prior to closing today’s group meeting?
2019 Financial Contribution Records
Thank you for your financial contributions to MCA Church. Your tithes, offerings and gifts keep the vision growing to the glory of God.
Your financial contribution records will be mailed on Tuesday.