Steven Pavek, today’s teaching pastor, invites us into the becomingness of mourning.
The Beauty of Becoming
Do we understand the beauty of mourning?
- “Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted” Mt 5:4
In order to adopt the attributes of this beatitude I’m challenging us to ask 3 questions.
A. Do we understand why God mourns over our sin?
- Not Because…he is a cosmic kill joy
- Not because he is just angry all the time
B. God’s mourning over our sin is derived from His deep love for us!
- Sin separates us from his good, pleasing and perfect will
- Luke 19
- John 11:35
- The fact that we have a God that mourns is a terrific thing
- God’s mourning is intense because the solution is so simple and available.
C. Are we mourning over ALL of OUR sin?
- We become more like Jesus when our hearts are sensitized to the sin in our lives
- Eph 4:18-19
- Are our hearts in a position to mourn over sin that we haven’t been convicted of yet?
D. Are we mourning for those who don’t know that comfort is available?
- Are we patient with those who are not mourning?
- Romans 10:14
- When we understand our brokenness it becomes easier to understand someone else’s
- Does it bother us that people don’t know Jesus?
- Romans 9:1-3
- What if we asked God to show us how he feels about the people around us?