With situated learning, all of life is the classroom and everyone is learning from everyone. I am no scholar on these things, but have found “Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation” (Lave & Wenger 1991) insightful. Several of today’s ideas are found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_practice
Enjoy this week’s message outline.
“Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation” (Lave & Wenger 1991)
As I go on the Y.E.S. Journey, I grow by Yielding, Engaging, and Sacrificing. Going on the Y.E.S. Journey I am crafting my life into being and doing as Jesus is and does and in the process, I grow toward my full potential.
Craftsmen are uniquely prepared for their craftsmanship. For example, the emphasis is not upon cognitive processes, but on learning through interactions between individuals, cultural tools and social communities.
Concepts for Learning the Craft of Christianity
- Situated learning – At its simplest, situated learning is learning that takes place in the same context in which it is applied.
- Communities of practice – At its simplest, learning as social participation.
- Domain – the general domain of knowledge that creates common ground, inspires, gives meaning.
- Community –the social fabric for the domain of knowledge
- Practice – the specific focus around which the community develops, shares and maintains its core of knowledge.
- Master – a person who has mastered the craft
- Apprentice – a person who is learning in the community of practice
- Journeyman – a person now ready to journey with the craft
The craft of Christianity requires learning as a craftsman would.
1 Corinthians 3:10 shows the Apostle Paul’s understanding of Christianity as craft.
According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.
The word Paul selected for “skilled master builder” (arxitéktōn) is a combination word. The first word (arxi) has the meaning of first. Téktōn, the second word, has the meaning of craftsman.
Today, Pentecost Sunday, is the celebration of the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
He, the Spirit, is THE Chief Artisan and Master Craftsman. Genesis 1:2
The Spirit, having created situated learning, is the Master Craftsman in “Communities of Practice” for every domain. John 14:26
The Chief Artisan and Master Craftsman (Spirit) travels the entire YES Journey with me. John 14:16
Pentecost Sunday Personal Downloads
- Holy Spirit, may I be your apprentice?
- What spiritual domain holds my current interest and need?
- Am I in a Community of Practice for my interest and need?
- Consider participating in an MCA Summer Connect Group as a Community of Practice.