Following are my message notes from February 5′s day services. At the end you will find the LIFE Group notes for this week.
Christianity: More than a relationship
Today, we are considering the fact that Christians align themselves with the attitudes, beliefs, and practices of Jesus.
Christianity is a dynamic set of interconnections between attitudes, beliefs, and practices.
Are there non-Christian attitudes? YES! Matthew 5:3-12
Are there non-Christian beliefs? YES! Galatians 1:6-9
Are there non-Christian practices? YES! 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Sin is defined, in part, as “missing the mark.” We have all missed the mark of God’s glory. We have missed the mark of God’s glory in our attitudes, beliefs, and practices. Romans 3:23
A problem, as I see it, is that it is popular in our culture to claim a relationship with Jesus even while knowingly disagreeing with Him.
According to a 2011 poll from the Public Religion Research Institute, more than 72 percent of Americans believe it is possible to disagree with the teachings of their religion on abortion and “still be considered a person of good standing in their faith.” The survey noted that members of most major religious groups, including Catholics and white Evangelical Protestants, believe that such a dissonance is possible.
For those who claim a relationship with Jesus, but knowingly disagree with Him:
1. If you are wiser, smarter, and more brilliant than the Professor, “Why take the class?”
2. If the Professor claims to be Truth, and He is wrong, why follow any of His teachings?
To consider one’s self more intelligent than God, is to embrace the queen of all vices……Pride. Pride is an excessive love of one’s own excellence that withdraws from obedience and alignment with God.
Since Christians, by definition, align themselves with the attitudes, beliefs, and practices of Jesus, “In humility, what attitudes, beliefs, and actions in your life should change?”
MCA LIFE Groups
Connecting with Each Other
1. Do you have any fun memories that include snow?
2. What is your favorite winter activity?
Digging Deeper into the Weekend Message
1. One of the great fears of our culture is the fear of believing one thing is better than another thing. “Who are you to assume your belief is better than mine?” How do you think the Apostle Paul would respond, in light of Galatians 1:6-9?
2. In your opinion, why is it that those in our culture who demand tolerance at all costs, practice intolerance of Jesus and His followers? John 15:18
3. Respond to 2 Timothy 3:5 in light of the survey revealing that over 72 percent of USAmerican “Christians” believe that disagreeing with Jesus is not a problem for their faith.
4. It is pride that causes one to knowingly disagree with Jesus. What is God’s response to knowingly disagree with His Son? James 4:6
1. Pray for special ministry at the women’s retreat this weekend.
2. Pray for our Burkina Faso team to return to Alaska life without significant side effects such as jet lag, sickness, etc.