Hey, Dude. You are wrong!

Just been reading a few bloggers who feel their calling is to point out every well known pastor, author, television presenter, or evangelist’s theological error. Viciously these bloggers attack everyone who views a text, doctrine, or experience differently than they estimate it should be viewed.

My problem with this approach is rather simple. Everyone is wrong, seriously and entirely wrong somewhere. No one has attained theological perfection. The pride required to think that you are perfectly aligned with the Eternal Mind of God is gargantuan.

Thankfully you and I are not God.

We are merely tiny little human beings (with even smaller brains) who are invited to activate the grey matter in thoughts of God. My Bing search tells me that your brain weighs less than three pounds. Really, there is no way that a three pound organ can contain all the truth of God.

I am fairly sure the Apostle Paul was smarter, brighter, and more intelligent than you and me. About trying to understand the love of God, Paul said, “We see through a glass darkly.” Pity the soul who thinks the glass has no darkness.

One guy said, “I don’t preach man’s opinion. I preach the infallible Word of God.” My immediate thought was, “Dude! That’s your opinion.”

A pastor argued with me one day, “Kent, there is only one truth. All truth is one.” To which I replied, “And, by your estimation, you have that one truth. Every one who disagrees with you is in total error, because you have all truth.”

God, it seems to me, is fairly bright.

If he wanted to do so, he could have written us a theological text. But He didn’t. He might have written us an ecclesiological treatise so that everyone knew the exactly perfect church governance model. But He didn’t. No need for Plato, Socrates, or Thales because He could give us the mother of all philosophy works. But He didn’t

Maybe the Eternal Mind of God likes his creation to actually think! What if God likes the process of human thinking as much or more than the conclusions of the thinking endeavor?

My best guess is that God so much enjoys watching you think that He has grace for all the areas in which your conclusions are wrong.

Rather than run around the theological world to point out other folk’s error, one could humbly approach the Throne of Grace to obtain mercy and ask God for insight into the error in their own understandings.

We are all wrong somewhere. Humility demands this truthfulness.

My Systematic Theology professor at Northwest University in Kirkland, Washington, Dr. Daniel Pecota, was fond of saying, “Students, what we don’t exactly know is how much error God tolerates.”

Most of what we know about pleasing God is VERY clear and easy to understand. “Honor your father and mother,” isn’t hard to assimilate. “Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy,” is pretty clear. “Declare with your mouth and believe in your heart,” makes sense to a three year old.

If we anchor all of our thoughts in the Bible, 80% of our thinking will be in alignment with the Eternal Mind of God. The other 20% is a ton of fun to debate but surely not worth inciting pride in our hearts, because pride is what makes devils. Rather than operate, with pride, out of the 80% of your thinking that may be accurate, how about living in humility from the 20% that is in error?

I challenge you to select your least favorite Christian group, minister, author, or organization and find all of the ways that they agree with the Eternal Mind of God. Make a list. It will be longer than you expect and more of a joy than anticipated.

Although I am not sure where, most likely, part of this article is wrong.