Beyond Heaven’s Gates
Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames paints a picture of the requirement of having one’s name written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
God, in my opinion, intentionally left His revelation of the details of resurrection and the following accountability a bit vague. In fact, I am a bit leery of the person who has all the details of resurrection and accountability figured out and in concrete form.
However the timing of God’s resurrection and accountability unfolds, He has revealed several specific details:
- Everyone will be resurrected and be held accountable for their lives. Hebrews 9:27
- Those who have not trusted in Christ for salvation will give an account for their lives and receive God’s just sentence for their deeds. Revelation 20:11-15
- Those who have trusted in Christ for salvation will give an account for their lives and receive God’s just reward for their deeds. 2 Corinthians 5:9, 10
Today we are investigating the rewards God gives to those, in the resurrection, who have trusted in Jesus for salvation.
This topic is VITAL for every person who has placed their trust in Jesus for salvation. J. C. Ryle said it very well, “A mistake about your soul, is a mistake for eternity.”
The Bible is very clear.
- God will reward you according to the “deeds done in the body.” 2 Corinthians 5:10
- God’s rewards will vary, depending on the deeds done in the body.
- Great is their reward in heaven. Matthew 5:12
- Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward Matthew 6:4
- Our deeds will be analyzed by God, as if by fire, and rewarded accordingly. 1 Corinthians 3:11-14
We don’t know the details of God’s rewards. However, God’s rewards are referred to as a highly prized crown.
An Incorruptible Crown 1 Corinthians 9:25
A Crown of Rejoicing 1 Thessalonians 2:19, 20
A Crown of Righteousness 2 Timothy 4:8
The Crown of Life James 1:12
The Crown of Glory 1 Peter 5:2-5
God’s promises about His rewards are inspirational and motivational.
- Hebrews 6:10 reveals God will not forget your work and labor of love.
- Colossians 3:23, 24 state that work done “heartily to the Lord” shall receive the reward of the inheritance.
God’s rewards are so important, John warns us in 2 John 8, “Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.”
MCA Church LIFE Group Homework
Listen – My Story
- What is the favorite reward you have ever received? What made it your favorite?
- What is the favorite reward you have ever given? What made it your favorite?
Learn – Digging Deeper
- Read Proverbs 24:12
- Who knows what you have done and are doing?
- What does He know?
- What does He who knows do?
- Read Matthew 25:31-46.
- Are Christian acts of service important in this passage? If so, how important?
- Is one’s eternal standing with God impacted by acts of service in this passage?
Life – Taking it Home
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this lesson? Does someone in your Life Group want to make Jesus Lord of their lives today?
- How can your Life Group help you apply this weeks’ teaching?
Lift – Prayer
- Pray for the wisdom and strength to live with pure motives and unending commitment to Jesus.
- Pray for your friends who might be impacted by Hyatt Moore’s “The Beatitudes” to attend with you on Sunday, April 15.
- Pray for your friends who might be impacted by the Queen of Katwe to attend with you on Sunday, April 19.