October is Global Outreach month at MCA Church. We are asking the Lord to open major doors for each of us to have influence in the lands beyond our comfort zones.
But our hope is that as your faith increases, our area of influence among you may be greatly enlarged, 16 so that we may preach the gospel in lands beyond you, without boasting of work already done in another’s area of influence. 2 Corinthians 10:15-16
In today’s text, we learn the following about the ministry of Paul.
- Paul’s ministry influence was hindered by the Corinthian Christian’s small faith.
- This hindrance of influence in Corinth thwarted Paul’s ability to preach in the lands beyond the Corinthians.
- Paul strongly wanted to not serve in “another’s area of influence.”
For our purposes today, I would like to replace Paul, in this text, with Philippe.
- Is Philippe’s ministry influence hindered by your faith?
- Does your faith boost or diminish Philippe’s ability to reach to the lands beyond Zone 1 Church in Burkina Faso?
- Does your faith enable Philippe to move beyond someone else’s area of influence and into his own areas of influence?
What area of Paul’s influence did he hope would grow among the Corinthian Christians?
- Prayer 2 Cor. 1:11
- Obedience 2 Cor. 2:9
- Sufficiency 2 Cor. 3:5
- Treasure 2 Cor. 4:7
- Courage 2 Cor. 5:6
- Reconciliation 2 Cor. 5:19
- Unrestricted 2 Cor. 6:12
- Generosity 2 Cor. 8:7
It is easy to see how, if Paul’s influence on the Christians in Corinth grows in these eight areas, their faith would enable Paul to preach the Gospel to the lands beyond.
All eight areas mentioned by Paul require increasing faith. In this way Paul can say, “as your faith increases…we can preach to the lands beyond you.”
MCA Life Group Home Work
Listen – My Story
- Today’s conversation features a hymn from 1904. Do you have a favorite line from a song, either new or old, Christian or secular?
- If you could spend one month, with all expenses paid, in a country in which you will preach the Gospel, where would it be? Why?
Learn – Digging Deeper
To the regions beyond I must go, I must go
Where the story has never been told;
To the millions that never have heard of His love,
I must tell the sweet story of old.
What does the Bible say about going where the Gospel has never been told? Romans 15:20
To the hardest of places He calls me to go,
Never thinking of comfort or ease;
The world may pronounce me a dreamer, a fool,
Enough if the Master I please.
What does the Bible say about going where it is difficult? Matthew 16:10
Oh, you that are spending your leisure and powers
In those pleasures so foolish and fond;
Awake from your selfishness, folly and sin,
And go to the regions beyond.
What does the Bible say are the results of selfishness, excess leisure and cares of this world? Matthew 13:22
There are other “lost sheep” that the Master must bring,
And to them must the message be told;
He sends me to gather them out of all lands,
And welcome them back to His fold.
What does the Bible say about preaching the Good News across cultural barriers? Acts 1:8
Life – Taking it Home
- What is God saying to you through this lesson?
- What is your next step in response to this teaching?
- Should you make a commitment to get involved with a people group that has never heard of Jesus?
Lift – Prayer
- Please pray for your involvement in God’s mission in the world today. In what ways is God inviting you to commit to help in Global Outreach?
- Please pray for the grace of God to help you give by faith for the cause of mission.
- Please pray for Pastor Philippe’s time here in Anchorage.
- Please pray for Pastor and Mrs. Bomzon as they prepare to travel to Anchorage.