Our weekend teaching series, “A Simple Christmas,” has reminded me of the power of Jesus’ life and ministry. Jesus is the central Person of all history and the hub of all scripture. I shout a huge “Amen!” to E. Stanley Jones’ statement, “Christianity is Christ.”
Following are my notes for this lesson. Enjoy!
A Simple Christmas
Jesus’ Simple Teaching about Himself
The Bible records what others had to say about the Person of Jesus.
• The Roman Centurion said, “Surely, this was the Son of God.” Matthew 27:54
• The Samaritans said, “We know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” John 4:42
• Martha said, “You are the Messiah, the Son of God.” John 11:27
• Thomas said, “My Lord and my God.” John 20:28
• Peter said, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” Matthew 16:16
• Paul said, “He is the image of the invisible God, the First Born over all creation.” Colossians 1:15-23
• John wrote, “King of kings and Lord of lords.” Revelation 19:16
Of all the things Jesus claimed about Himself, we will consider only four today.
1. Jesus claimed to be the complete revelation of the Father. John 14:7-9
2. Jesus claimed to be equal with God. John 10:30
3. Jesus claimed to be the Messiah. John 4:25-26
4. Jesus claimed to be the only way to God. John 14:1-6
I see three options to understanding Jesus’ claims about Himself.
1. His claims are false. Wrong. He believes a lie.
2. His claims are fiction. He is fake and phony. He is a shyster.
3. His claims are fact. He is correct. He is the Messiah, the Son of God, who takes away the sin of the world.
Since we have found that Jesus’ claims are indeed fact, it is appropriate for me to respond, as He required.
1. I must be born again.
2. I must place my belief (my trust and confidence) in Him for salvation and eternal life.