Living by Faith: Destroying the works of the devil and establishing God’s kingdom in the earth
The ministry of Jesus, who lived a sinless life, was crucified, buried, rose again and is alive forever, includes establishing God’s kingdom in the earth today.
8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 1 John 3:8
Today’s text, Isaiah 9:6, prophetically reveals the “kingdom establishing and devil destroying Jesus” in a variety of roles.
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
The government of God’s kingdom is upon Jesus’ shoulders.
- Jesus, the Wonderful Counselor, is the kingdom’s wisdom.
- Jesus, the Mighty God, is the God and power of the kingdom.
- Jesus, the Everlasting Father, is the Father of the kingdom.
- Jesus, the Prince of Peace, is the peace of the kingdom.
Jesus, the Everlasting Father, reveals the high value of proper fatherhood.
First, proper fatherhood is revealed as being immersed in God’s kingdom.
- We are fathers born into the kingdom of God.
- We are fathers formed into the character of the King of the kingdom.
- We are fathers forming others into the character of the King of the kingdom.
For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Romans 8:29
Second, proper fatherhood is everlasting.
- From before conception and into the everlasting a father is father.
- Proper fatherhood is an everlasting relationship.
The three staples of children’s social and emotional diet are their mother’s love, their father’s love, and stability. When children are raised by their married parents, they have daily access to all three. These needs have nothing to do with a child’s race, and the absence of one or more of these critical staples makes children emotionally malnourished and more likely to struggle academically, suffer a host of behavioral and emotional challenges, become a teen parent, and be incarcerated. That’s why marriage is a social justice issue for children. https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/12/to-truly-reduce-racial-disparities-we-must-acknowledge-black-fathers-matter/
- Consider these lyrics in Pappa’z Song by the late rapper Tupac.
Had to play catch by myself, what a sorry sight
A pitiful plight, so I pray for a starry night
Please send me a pops before puberty
The things I wouldn’t do to see a piece of family unity.
In the father relationship, we are most like Jesus when we maintain an everlasting commitment.
Like our Everlasting Father we give the gift of consistently communicating our commitment.
18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. John 14:18
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14:3
Like our Everlasting Father, in our commitment, we give the gift of mindful presence.
And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever. Psalm 23
Like our Everlasting Father, in our commitment, we give our unfailing love.
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. John 15:9
Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. John 13:1
When communicating our everlasting commitment, being mindfully present and sharing the gift of unfailing love we are most like Jesus, our Everlasting Father.
Because the Everlasting Father is communicating everlasting commitment, being mindfully present and sharing the gift of unfailing love, the devil seeks to destroy them.
When communicating our everlasting commitment, being mindfully present and sharing the gift of unfailing love we join the Everlasting Father in destroying the works of the devil.
Respond to the Everlasting Father’s commitment, presence and unfailing love by placing your trust in Him for salvation.
MCA LIFE GROUP HOMEWORK
Listen – My Story
- Do you have a story of a father’s love, either with your own father or someone father-like?
- What are important characteristics of a father from your perspective?
Learn – Digging Deeper
- When you think of God’s everlasting commitment, what comes to mind? Jeremiah 31:3
- When you think of God communicating His commitment to you, what comes to mind? Romans 1:20, 2 Timothy 3:16
- When you think of God’s everlasting presence, what comes to mind? Deuteronomy 33:27
- When you think of God’s everlasting love, what comes to mind? John 3:16
Life – Taking it Home
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to you through this lesson?
- How can your Bible Fellowship help you destroy the works of the devil in your life in relationship to the father roles in your life?
Lift – Prayer
- May we join you in prayer for the destruction of the works of the devil in your father relationships?
- Please pray for God to establish stable homes with father, mother and children harmoniously living together to the glory of God.