How would you truthfully complete this sentence, “I am living by ________________.”
- Luck, chance, karma
- Reason, intellect, philosophy, human wisdom, education, training
- Human potential, self-fulfillment, self-determination
- Just making it day to day
- My personal development plan
- The wishes and demands other people have for me
The primary goal of this teaching series is to empower each of us to truthfully proclaim, “I am Living by Faith.”
Christian faith carries precise meanings that set us apart from other uses of the term
Secular faith is often considered a personal, internal belief in self.
- You can if you think you can
- Believe it to achieve it
Notice the secular faith concept in Roy T. Bennett’s “The Light in the Heart.”
“Don’t let others tell you what you can’t do. Don’t let the limitations of others limit your vision. If you can remove your self-doubt and believe in yourself, you can achieve what you never thought possible.”
In contrast, Christian faith is specifically belief in God as revealed in the Bible and in His revelation to you.
Abraham is considered the father of all who live by faith and our study of faith begins with him.
The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well. Romans 4:11
Today’s text is Genesis 15:1-6
After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.” 2 But Abram said, “O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” 3 And Abram said, “Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir.” 4 And behold, the word of the Lord came to him: “This man shall not be your heir; your very own son shall be your heir.” 5 And he brought him outside and said, “Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” 6 And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness. Genesis 15:1-6
God is central in all Christian faith.
- The Lord is mentioned four times in this key faith passage.
God and His word are essential to Christian faith.
- And the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision. Vs. 1
- And behold, the word of the Lord came to him. Vs. 4
Believing God and the word He has revealed is the essence of faith.
- Believing includes total trust. Psalm 9:10
And those who know your name put their trust
for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.
- Believing includes total confidence. 2 Timothy 1:12
But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.
- Believing includes total obedient action. James 2:17
So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
In like faith, we walk in God’s promises to father Abraham.
- In faith we fear not for God is our shield. Genesis 15:1
- In faith we are filled with joyful anticipation for our reward shall be very great. Genesis 15:1
MCA Life Groups
LISTEN: MY STORY
When you think of faith, what personal experience comes to mind?
LEARN: DIGGING DEEPER
Pastor Kent stated, “In faith, we fear not for God is our shield.”
Please read Psalm 3
- What do we learn about David’s situation in vs. 1 and 2?
- God promised He would be Abraham’s shield. What does David say in this regard?
- What might David mean by saying, “You are the glory and lifter of my head?”
- With solid faith in God, what does David do, even in the midst of his situation? Vs. 5 and 6
- Seeing the promises of God in vs. 1-6, David pursues God in further prayer. Vs. 7
- David’s faith proclaims the Psalm’s grand finale. Vs. 8
LIFT: PRAYING WITH ONE ANOTHER
- Please share a current situation in your life that requires great faith in God.
- Please pray Psalm 3 over your situation.
- Please end prayer time by declaring out loud, together, Psalm 3:8.
- Please pray for anointing and conviction during Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames.
- Please pray for each one’s fasting and prayer ministry.
LIFE: TAKING IT HOME
- What fear do you need to address in faith?
- What has God said to you about your situation?
- Declare your faith based upon that word from God.