I love the Lord’s Church in the world. What a joy to worship at Central Church of the Church of God in Charlotte two weeks ago, Zone One Church in Burkina Faso last Sunday, and in MCA Church today! I love our home church.
Following are my message notes for today’s talk. I pray that you find the concepts helpful. In essence the message is designed to encourage you to actually physically walk more and as you walk bring the Good News and establish Christ’s Kingdom.
Living Local: The Power of Walking
When we become disconnected from our local roots…
• We begin to lose our identity.
• We begin to lose the importance of place.
• Our well being, from being connected to our neighbor and neighborhood, is reduced.
• The attention we give to our location is also reduced.
• There is a loss of vital human being to human being eye contact, communication, presence, and touch
We are embracing the 4/11 Challenge this summer. Philippians 4:11, 1 Thessalonians 4:10-12
1. Learn to be content.
2. Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life.
3. Make it your ambition to mind your own business.
4. Make it your ambition to work with your hands.
Today, I want to consider the possible over-all benefit of walking and it’s effect on our 4/11 Challenge and on our social, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
Is it possible that one of the enemies of living local is the frequency and speed of our moving from one place to another?
The Bible opens with God walking in the garden in the cool of the day. Genesis 2:8
Consider the role of your feet in accomplishing the ministry of Isaiah 52:7-10.
• Bringing good news
• Proclaim peace
• Good tidings
• Proclaim salvation
• Declare that God reigns
S Slow down the pace of your life
H Hear the sounds of your neighborhood
O Open your heart to compassion
E Engage and elevate your level of participation
S Shout, sing, say
In John 12:1-10, Mary anointed Jesus’ feet with expensive perfume and in John 19 those anointed feet were nailed to a Roman cross.
What mountain in Isaiah 52? Mt. Calvary
Whose feet? The feet of Jesus
What good news? Jesus saves
What peace? Peace with God
Good tidings? Salvation’s plan is complete
Proclaim salvation? For God so loved…
May your feet be anointed today, to carry the “our God Reigns” message to your neighborhood. With your feet you travel your neighborhood and demonstrate that the “Lord returns.” Is. 52:8
Connecting with one another – Which Olympic event is your favorite?
Digging Deeper into the Weekend Talk
1. In Isaiah 52 the good news is that Israel is out of bondage to Babylon. What is Babylon for the people in your neighborhood?
2. Our feet get us to the neighborhood but our mouth makes the declaration. Which gifts of the Spirit flow through your voice and how do those gifts impact your ministry? 1 Corinthians 12:7-11
Pray that you will use the vocal gifts of the Spirit to see people saved through Heaven’s Gates and Hell’s Flames.