This is a season never before experienced in all of history.
Previously we conversed about excelling in love during a season of super strong personal opinions and beliefs.
- 1.We seek to excel in love because our eternal inheritance requires us to do so.
- 2.We seek to excel in love by limiting our freedoms for the benefit of the other.
- 3.We seek to excel in love because Christian unity is our greatest testimony that God is love and has sent His Son to rescue us and live with us.
Although many pandemics have plagued the earth, none have happened in a world as interconnected as we are today.
On non-eternal matters explicitly addressed in the Bible we are commanded to hold to our personal conscience before God.
- ïVery dear and wise personal Christian friends strongly hold to the belief that Paul’s sentence, “I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet,” as eternal guidance for all churches in all places at all times. 1 Timothy 2:12
- ïI hold strong belief that the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost upon daughters and sons, female and male, in fact, upon all flesh, indicates that Paul was clearly speaking of particular churches at a particular time.
Never in my lifetime have matters of conscience been this front and center in the Christian family of faith.
Therefore, in times like these, we have huge need for two exceedingly crucial skills; insight and wisdom.
The ability, in these turbulent times, to see into matters is a crucial need.
- ïWhat is below the surface of what initially meets the eye?
- ïWhat is connected to what I currently perceive?
- ïWhat can I see in my blind spot?
- ïWhat has the Spirit said in the Bible about this matter?
Consider the following passages from the Book of Proverbs.
To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight,
yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,
[ A Father’s Wise Instruction ] Hear, O sons, a father’s instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.
Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” and call insight your intimate friend,
I have counsel and sound wisdom; I have insight; I have strength.
Leave your simple ways, and live, and walk in the way of insight.”
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
A need of the hour for the Christian is insight.
To insight we add wisdom.
Wisdom understands how to handle the insights as we daily live out our faith.
Isaiah presents the outcomes of the Spirit of the Lord being upon Jesus and through extrapolation, upon you and me today. Isaiah 11:1-2
There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse,
and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.
2 And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
Wisdom is critical because the cohesiveness of our faith falls apart if we are unwise.
According to this passage, what good is it to have understanding, counsel, might, knowledge and the fear of the Lord if we are not wise? Wisdom is key to all gifts and fruit of the Spirit.
Most crucial questions of this significant time in history cannot be answered definitively.
For example, many are asking, “Are these the last days?”
We cannot give a definitive, all-encompassing answer. It doesn’t seem wise to say “Yes,” and it surely isn’t wise to say, “No.”
My answer is, “These are more the last days than any other day in history.”
The uncertainty of the hour demands insight and wisdom.
|11 Then I saw another beast rising out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb and it spoke like a dragon. 12 It exercises all the authority of the first beast in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose mortal wound was healed. 13 It performs great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in front of people, 14 and by the signs that it is allowed to work in the presence of the beast it deceives those who dwell on earth, telling them to make an image for the beast that was wounded by the sword and yet lived. 15 And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain. 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.||
ïThere will be an exercise of overwhelming authority.
ïThere will be worship required.
ïThere will be much deception
ïThere will be the killing of those who would not worship.
ïThere will be required identification on the right hand or the forehead
ïThere will be buying or selling unless one identifies with the beast
ïTHIS CALLS FOR WISDOM
Allowing Revelation 13:11-18 to be our guide, let us pursue insight and wisdom in the following:
- Be very thoughtful, careful and cautious about matters of authority.
- Be very thoughtful, careful and cautions about matters of worship.
- Look closely for indications that you are becoming deceived.
- Should Christians be on earth during this season, prepare for life-ending violence.
- Be very thoughtful, careful and cautions about matters of identification.
- Seek insight and wisdom for the day when you may not be able to buy or sell.
- John is correct, THIS CALLS FOR WISDOM.