Christian marriages are grounded in the foundation of honor. Undergirding Serge and Miriam is a giant network of godly support and love.
We are commanded to “honor your father and mother” in Exodus 20:12. Today, we honor:
- Serge’s father, mother, and extended family. Thank you for raising a godly son.
- Miriam’s father, mother, and extended family. Thank you for raising a Christian daughter. Today, I present to you, Miriam, your father’s blessing. Pastor Joany and I were in prayer seven years ago. He abruptly stopped and said, “I noticed your milk containers have an expiration date. I am going to expire. Please be my older brother and take care of my family, especially my daughter.” Less than three months later, your father was with the Lord.
- All of the pastors and ministries who helped shape and form your character and love for God.
- Your church families who influenced you for Christ.
This is the furthest I have ever traveled (round trip of 30,159 kilometers/18,744 miles) to celebrate a marriage. The journey is a delight for many reasons, one of which is I believe God has given me a special verse for you and your marriage.
“But the people who know their God shall stand firm and take action.” Daniel 11:32 b
There is so much for you to know as a newly married husband and wife. You are learning so much in:
- Your career fields of accounting and medicine
- Your roles as a son and son in law and daughter and daughter in law
The verse I am proclaiming over you today encourages you, in the midst of all of life, to know your God. Knowing God is of more importance than almost everything else combined. With the Apostle Paul may you always proclaim, “That I may know Him.”
Life takes on the proper perspective when you know God. Your joys and fears and laughter and tears are best understood when you know God.
When you know God you can then stand firm.
May your marriage be characterized by standing firm in the God you know.
Stand firm in:
- The word of God and prayer
- Body of Christ
- Fruit of the Holy Spirit, “Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” Galatians 5:22
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit, “Wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues, and interpretation of tongues.”
From this position of knowing God and standing firm, God calls you to take action.
Your actions are to be energetic and grand because the God you know is BIG! Knowing the BIG God is a call to big dreams, big plans, and a big life.
The cost of not taking action is more than we can imagine.
The experience of David and Goliath is phenomenal and amazing, yet with one small side note.
It should have been Saul and Goliath. Goliath was Saul’s giant to defeat. Saul, not knowing God, standing firm, nor taking action, lost out completely.
David conquered Saul’s giant. Saul goes down in history negatively while Goliath is one of David’s formative victories.
Serge and Miriam, you will be known by the giants you conquer. Without a doubt, there will be some very large giants on your journey, but you are well able to defeat the giants because you know your God, stand firm, and take action.