Jesus has come that we might have the most amazing, enthralling, energizing, adventurous, and abundantly life filled life. He’s about life!
Within each Christian there are two teams playing, Team Spirit and Team Flesh. There are therefore three participants in this drama.
Me. Team Spirit. Team Flesh.
God established this interaction in such a way that the success and failure of each team depends upon my decisions, actions, and attitudes.
Today’s lesson intends to reveal God’s demand that we put to death the “I am proud to say that I can do life my way without God,” of Team Flesh and in so doing more fully experience His abundant life.
Colossians 3:1-5 provides our first instructions on living out the abundant life of Jesus by properly dealing with Team Flesh.
According to this passage, Team Spirit has done three phenomenal things in the Christian’s life.
- I (and Team Spirit) have been raised with Christ. 1
- Team Flesh (in me) died with Christ. 3
- I will appear with him in glory. 4
When Paul wrote, “For you have died…” (vs. 3) he selected the Greek word, ἀποθνῄσκω. This is a combination of two words. The first word is “away from.” The second word is “to die.”
- It focuses on the separation that goes with the dying.
- It stresses the significance of the separation that always comes with divine closure.
Colossians 3:1-5 gives me instructions about what I am to do with Team Spirit and with Team Flesh if I am to fully experience the overflowing life of Jesus. Remembering that there are three players, I must put to death the deeds of team flesh. (Vs. 5) Paul chose another fascinating concept with his word choice for “put to death,” νεκρόω.
This word’s meaning includes “to view as a corpse.”
Team Spirit – 1. Seek the things that are above. 2. Set your mind on things above. 3. Put on new clothes
Team Flesh – 1. Put to death, mortify, view as a corpse, deprive what is earthly of life.
This entire passage and lesson is dependent upon one word with two letters, “If.” Vs. 1
LIFE Group Homework
Listen – My Story
- Do you remember a time when you “set your mind” on something in the future that was so exciting you couldn’t sleep?
- Have you ever been around a dead animal carcass that had died a long time ago? What was that experience like? Pleasant or unpleasant? Aromatic or stenchy (home-made word)?
Learn – Digging Deeper
- The key to the weekend message is one word with two letters. What is that word? Colossians 3:1 Invite each person in your life group to share if why they have or why they have not been “raised with Christ.” Would anyone in your group today like to trust in Christ for eternal life?
- Romans 6:5-11 is true for everyone who has placed their trust in Christ for salvation. What does Paul mean when he says, “If we have been united with him in a death like his…(vs. 5)” How were we united with him? What death?
- Romans 6:6 – What is the old self? What happens to sin in the old self?
- Romans 6:7 – What does it mean to be dead to sin?
- According to Romans 6:12-14, the Christian is dead to sin, therefor what actions should the disciple take regarding sin?
Life – Taking it Home
- What is God saying to you through this lesson?
- Is there sin in your life that God is calling you to view as a corpse and deprive of life?
- What is your next step in response to this teaching?
Lift – Prayer
- Please give thanks to God for His many answers to our prayers (please share a few in your group), especially for Pastor Moe’s strong recovery.
- Burning Ice Alaska 2016 is fast approaching. Please pray for a powerful anointing on the ministry for edification and evangelism. Pray that you will prioritize the services and attend each one.
- Pray for each other.