I am privileged to speak for Pastor Juan Angel Castro and the Assemblies of God Evangelistic Center in San Salvador, El Salvador’s Missions Convention. The theme of the convention is “The Generous Spirit and Mission.” Following are my notes for today’s talk, “The Generous Spirit and Mission,” presented at the CEAD.
The Generous Spirit and Mission
Centro Evangelistico AD
Virtually everywhere we see God’s generosity, we see the Holy Spirit as the agent of that generosity.
- God creates the heavens and the earth in Genesis 1 and 2, in Genesis 1:2 we discover that God is bringing forth the gift of creation as the “Spirit hovered over the deep.”
- John 3:16 says, For God so loved that he gave. How did God’s love turn into God’s great gift?
- Luke 1:35 says, “The Holy Spirit shall come upon you.”
- Matthew 1:20, “What is conceived in her is by the Holy Spirit.”
The Holy Spirit is THE gift and the Holy Spirit is the Gift Giver.
- Notice in 1 Corinthians 12:1, “Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed.”
- 1 Corinthians 14:1, “Eagerly desire the gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.”
- 1 Corinthians 14:12, “Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.”
Today, we receive the Holy Spirit as The Gift and we receive the gifts that the Spirit gives.
As we have received the Holy Spirit as both The Gift and the Gift Giver, we now have the joy of:
- Walking in the Spirit. Galatians 5:16
- Being led by the Spirit. Galatians 5:18
- Living in the Spirit. Galatians 5:25
Early in my life, I began walking with the Spirit. What a walk it has been. I have eagerly desired the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit especially to build up the church.
- When I was about 16 years old, I was to sing a solo. Bill Tayman
- When I was 18 years old, I left home for my first solo missions journey. Fear of flying, how will I make it in Hong Kong. President of Sanyo, Green Mercedes Benz.
- When I was 18 years old, felt led to give a gift of $400 to Mark Buntain, but I had no money. Nothing in my checking account.
- The Angel Story.
Today, I invite you to eagerly desire the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit. Walk in Him. What a glorious walk it will be.
Just like in Genesis 1, the Holy Spirit is hovering over our gathering today, in order to bring forth, in you, the beautiful gifts of God.